Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Readers Weigh In on Potential of Smartwatches

The Apple Watch arrived with plenty of fanfare.
But it’s still unclear whether all the buzz will lead to a sales success.
And skepticism about smartwatches remains,
as seen in this debate in The Wall Street Journal’s report on Big Issues in Technology.

So we asked Journal readers in a recent  WSJ.com poll if they thought smartwatches would be a hit.
Nearly 54% of you think there is something to all the buzz.  (You can still weigh in here.)

Here are some of your comments:

Anything that makes it quicker and easier to accomplish tasks will ultimately be successful.

Rick, Fredonia, N.Y

I have one (a Pebble) and already feel dependent on it.
It takes a while for any new idea to catch with the general public,
but I think smartwatches will take off the same way smartphones did.
We’re still in the early stages,
so developers are just now figuring out exactly what can be done with a smartwatch.

Caleb, West Tennessee
Early adopters only, not mainstream.
Doesn’t really add new functionality other than health monitoring vs.
the smartphone in your pocket, which when it was introduced did change the game.

Barry, Boston
Suits the need for superficial, transactional experiences.

Amy, Delaware
If a person doesn’t already wear a watch, I’m guessing they won’t start (like me).

Jeff, Riverside, Calif.
Not yet. Poor battery life, no GPS and you still have to have a phone with you.

Kev, Houston
Stop and think for a moment:
How many times do you dig out your phone for an activity that only actually requires a few
seconds of passive interaction? They feel trivial, because they are mostly passive,
quick interactions, but they’re also the things I probably do most with my phone.
As with many things in life—the little things make all the difference.
Little conveniences, all day, every day, add up to something I like having in my life,
and I think other people will feel the same way.

Jason Kallelis, Tucson, Ariz.
Convenience, plus there will be a killer app that we haven’t yet thought of.

Mark Westerhausen, Fort Wayne, Ind.
I was skeptical on the nonfitness benefits of smartwatches but purchasing a
Microsoft Band changed my viewpoint. Ultra convenient to get a glance of latest text,
email, etc., without taking phone out of your pocket.

Tom O’Malley, Cleveland
I have had a smartwatch for two years and I am addicted.
Can’t see myself giving it up anytime soon.

Ahmed, San Francisco
I stopped using mine after two weeks.

Ramone, Taipei
No longer a need but a fashion statement and square is not fashion.

M. Johnson, U.S.
Way too much money.

Zip
I love my Fitbit and see Apple Watch as an upgrade.

Ann G., Houston
This is a gateway technology to something better.

Jeffrey P., Cary, N.C.
On your wrist, can’t lose it.

Ann, Miami
Just another gadget to break.
And a distraction from driving and spending quality time with another human.

Nora, Colorado
Fnctionally, offers nothing new over the phone in your pocket.
Battery life is a major issue too.

Sam Koenig, Calgary, Alberta
Worthless. Just pull your phone out of your pocket.

Bill, Denver
Phone is more interactive.

Bob, North Carolina
People will want the newest technology, sort of a lemming mentality.

Anonymous, Colorado
Low battery life. Unattractive.

Dave, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.

No comments:

Post a Comment